In 2000, the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) established the Month of the Scholar celebration to increase the commitment of women’s fraternities to academic achievement and excellence. Beginning in 2011, NPC officially recognized February as the Month of the Scholar and all NPC member groups, as well as College Panhellenics and Alumnae Panhellenic groups, are encouraged to promote academic achievement and reward academic excellence during this time. Since wisdom is one of our core values this month gives us an opportunity as an individual or chapter to focus on learning, education and scholarship.
Here are five ideas to inspire and remind Tri Sigma members about academic excellence:
- Invite women who made the Dean’s List this past semester to a scholarship dessert. Each woman can bring a faculty member who inspired her to achieve her outstanding GPA.
- Present a Most Improved GPA award and ask the winner to share what she did to increase her GPA and focus on academics.
- Distribute goody bags containing candy, erasers, pens, pencils and study tips for distribution during a week on campus. You can find labels like the ones above and other ideas on our Pinterest page.
- Sponsor a faculty appreciation breakfast or lunch or coffee in February. Ask members to invite their favorite professor and everyone participates in discussions about good study habits and tips for academic success.
- Nominate your members for scholarships! Talk about free money – there are tons of scholarships out there! If you happen to see one that you aren’t eligible, but you know another chapter member would be, pass it along! It doesn’t hurt to share the resources.
During the Month of The Scholar, Tri Sigma is proud to celebrate our collegiate members who obtained a 4.0 GPA. Join us in congratulating the scholars by clicking here to view the list.