October 15-21, 2017
Announcing the 2017 Theme:
Our world and communities are in need of character, compassion, and kindness now more than ever. How are you putting one of the pillars of character (trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, citizenship) into action within your community? How are you changing your corner of the world for the better? Please be specific in your narrative.
Character Essay Contest 2017 Guidelines
- All collegiate entrants must be women enrolled full time at a College or University and affiliated with a National Sorority. All alumnae entrants must be members of Tri Sigma in good standing.
- All submitted essays become the property of Sigma Sigma Sigma and may be published in any chosen venue.
- The Panhellenic community of the 1st place winner will receive a Sigma Sigma Sigma Woman of Character Retreat facilitated by Sigma Sigma Sigma staff and volunteers.
October 1: Application deadline at midnight EST
Week of October 16: Winners selected and notified (in conjunction with CHARACTER COUNTS! Week)
October: Winning essays published on the Tri Sigma website, the CHARACTER COUNTS!
website and on Compassion It.com.
Judging Criteria and Selection Team
The essays will be judged on the criteria below by a team of six (6) from Sigma Sigma Sigma and Compassion It. The selection team is under the direction of the Sigma Sigma Sigma Assistant Vice President of Education and Training.
Topic – 40% – The content of the essay supports the character education theme announced for the year
Impression – 30% – Overall impression the essay has on the reader
Form – 30% – Grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure and effectively express ideas
The Essay should not exceed 600 words in length.
Alumna essays can be submitted by clicking here.
Collegiate essays can be submitted by clicking here.
The world needs more compassion now more than ever. But it can be overwhelming to think about changing the world! The Character Advocate Team has an idea. Let’s focus on our corner of the world.
Join us as we focus on making our corner of the world better. Submit your pictures via email <hyperlink email@example.com> or via social media using #YourCorneroftheWorld #CornerofCharacterandCompassion
30 Day Compassion It Challenge
We invite you to join us to celebrate character by taking part in a challenge to encourage people to “compassion it” every day during the month of October.
Join the 30-Day COMPASSION IT Challenge!
This 30-day challenge will use a step-by-step approach to cultivating compassion over the span of one month. There will be daily recommendations of actions that incorporate each of these important steps to cultivating compassion:
Week 1 – Mindfulness
Week 2 – Compassion for a Loved One
Week 3 – Self-Compassion
Week 4 – Recognizing Common Humanity
Week 5 – Compassion for Our Planet
Join us for an unforgettable month of celebrating character and compassion for ourselves, each other, and our planet.
Tri Sigma Compassion It Bands
As a visual daily reminder to practice compassion we have a limited number of Tri Sigma compassion it bands available to order. They come in a pack of two so you wear one and share one. Start the day on the white side and when you do a compassionate act, turn the band to the purple side.
How it works:
Wear one. Share one. Compassion it. Spread it.
- Wear one: Request your PURPLE and WHITE wrist band today.
- Share one: Your package will contain two wrist bands. Keep one and give one away.
- Compassion It: Seek out ways to sprinkle compassion throughout your day. Start the wristband on white each morning, and turn it to PURPLE when you compassion it!
- Spread it: Join the 30 Day Compassion It Challenge and inspire others with your pics and stories! #TriSigma #compassionit #CharacterCounts #WOCDontHaze
We will choose from your posts and stories each week during the month of October. Winners chosen will receive a compassionate gift pack and a news story on our website.
Order your Tri Sigma Compassion It bands today!
Ideas to Celebration CC! Week
Character Counts Week T-Shirts
You can order your official CC! Week shirt on Purple & Pearls! They are available in unisex or fashion sizes. To make a bulk order and receive bulk pricing, please call the store at 1-877-471-5410.