Are you involved in your campus’ government? Are you active with current legislative issues and trends on your campus?
Apply now to advocate on behalf of the fraternity/sorority community in Washington, D.C
The Fraternal Government Relations Coalition (FGRC) is looking for outstanding campus and chapter leaders to travel to Washington, D.C., to advocate for legislation that is important to the success of fraternity and sorority organizations across the country. This opportunity provides students with the unique opportunity to experience the nation’s capital in a new way through direct interaction in the legislative process.
The FGRC visits will take place in Washington, D.C., on Monday, March 30 – Wednesday, April 1, 2020. During the visits, students will advocate to protect the fraternity and sorority experience and students’ rights to freely associate with a single-sex organization, as well as anti-hazing legislation. Students should not apply if they do not feel comfortable advocating on these legislative issues that are priorities for the FGRC.
The tentative schedule of events for the 2020 FGRC visits is as follows:
- Sunday, March 29/Monday, March 30: Students arrive Sunday night/Monday morning.
- Monday, March 30: Student participants will attend training in the afternoon.
- Tuesday, March 31: Training for student participants in the morning/joint training for students and alumni in the afternoon.
- Wednesday, April 1: Students and alumni participate in the annual lobbying day on Capitol Hill and the Fraternity and Sorority Political Action Committee dinner that evening.
- Thursday, April 2: Students travel back to campus.
If selected, students will be expected to participate in prep work leading up to the training sessions and visits, which will include participating in a webinar to learn more about the FGRC’s legislative priorities. It is important that students are aware they will miss at least 3-4 days of school that week and should be prepared to plan accordingly with their professors during that time.
To apply, please fill out the application by 5 p.m. EST on Friday, Nov. 22. You will be notified in January if you are selected. Tri Sigma covers the cost of the member(s) selected.
If you have any questions about the legislative agenda, the application process or the 2020 FGRC visits, please email FGRC@arnoldporter.com.