The nominating committee is charged with identifying the most qualified nominees for Executive Council service and to develop a slate of the best candidates for office, which is presented to the voting assembly at Convention for consideration.
The nominating committee members need a clear understanding of governance leadership, broad acquaintance with the membership and comprehension of the organization’s mission, vision, and values, including the strategic initiatives.
- A former Council member is appointed to chair the committee.
- Six members are selected via the application process.
Note: Current Executive Council members and current staff members are ineligible to serve on the committee.
Nominating Committee members are ineligible for Executive Council candidacy.
- July 31, 2021: Application Deadline
- August 2021: Selection of the nominating committee chair and committee members by Executive Council
- August 2021: Notification of appointment sent to selected committee members
- September 2021: Service begins
- Submit a completed application, including a resumé noting professional experience and involvement in Tri Sigma;
- Sign confidentiality agreement. ALL work of the committee is to remain confidential at ALL times;
- Have a clear understanding of board governance and the mission, vision, values, and strategic initiatives of Sigma Sigma Sigma;
- Be a member in good standing; and
- Devote necessary time and energy to accomplish the work of the committee, which includes evenings and weekends. The majority of the Committee’swork takes place during the months of January and February of the Convention year, but also includes preparatory work upon appointment to the committee in the latter part of the year preceding Convention.
Nominating committee members must:
- Attend committee meetings;
- Be a participating member of the committee;
- Participate in a courteous manner;
- Be open-minded, objective, and diplomatic;
- Listen to and be respectful of different opinions;
- Exhibit no bias or advocacy for any candidate(s) or issue(s);
- Be willing to express individual opinion(s);
- Be fair, ethical, and impartial when evaluating candidates;
- Ask insightful questions and listen to answers;
- Seek clarity if greater understanding is needed about specifics or if additional knowledge about Sigma-related information is needed; and
- Have a broad view of the needs of the sorority.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand and commit to the expectations, responsibilities, and requirements to serve as a member of the nominating committee;
- Understand the nominating process, including the timeline, job description and requirements, and all resources/tools used in the process;
- Review and have a clear understanding of the qualifications, duties, responsibilities, and requirements of Executive Council service and of each Council position as outlined in the Executive Council description documents;
- Thoroughly review the candidates’ submission, including the application, resume, and any other supporting documentation;
- Participate in committee calls;
- Engage in group discussions about candidates’ qualifications, experience, and skills;
- Interview candidates;
- Take part in discussions to formulate slate and recommend best suited and most qualified candidates for Executive Council service; and
- Complete other duties as assigned by the chair of the committee.
Term of Service:
- Upon appointment and until the close of Convention.
Contact Jenna Martin Pendry, Executive Director at email@example.com with any questions.